I am Vincent Nji Ndumu, born on the 16th of October 1960 in Bamenda and a Civil Engineer by training. I have an M.Sc. (1990) in Construction Project Management from the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, UMIST in England, and a B.Sc. in Civil Engineering (1985) from the Amadou Bello University in Nigeria. Married to a Lawyer and a father of two boys and two girls, 20, 18, 16 and 8, I have had quite a fulfilling career:
- Civil Engineer in 1985, Ministry of Equipment, Cameroon.
- Service Head in 1990, Direct Works.
- Provincial Service Head from 1991-93 in charge of construction in the West Province of Cameroon.
- Provincial Delegate for the North West Province of Cameroon from 1993-97, Ministry of Public Works.
- Deputy Director of Public Works in Yaounde from 2000-2002.
- Technical Adviser to the Minister of Public Works in Yaounde from 2003-2004.
- Chairman of Road Weighing Operations from 2002-2004.
- Member of the Specialised Contracts Commission at the Prime Minister’s Office in Yaounde from 2002-2007.
- General Manager of SWIN Company Ltd (a Building and Civil Engineering company) from 2004-2009.
- Since 2009, Chairman of SWIN Company Ltd, Chairman of the Tenders’ Board of the Cameroon General Certificate Examinations Board, and Government Delegate to the Bamenda City Council.
With the transformation of Bamenda from an Urban Council to a City Council, I look forward to using my experience in Public Administration and my expertise as a Civil Engineer to turn Bamenda into a veritable modern city with all the infrastructure and sustainable development that go with such an ambition. To do this, I count enormously on our potential, as well as on the partners and friends of Bamenda. That is why my maiden trip abroad as Government Delegate was to visit Dordrecht (from the 19th to the 23rd of September 2009) with whom Bamenda has a long relationship.
During this visit, I was extremely touched by the hospitality of the people of Dordrecht, by the openness of the all the stakeholders of the Dordrecht-Bamenda Association, and above all, by the readiness of Mayor Bandell and his entire team to help Bamenda realise its dream of a city of many opportunities in sustainable development.
This spirit was captured in the Protocol of Cooperation, which Mayor Bandell and I signed on Tuesday, 22 September 2009, and while vouching for the respect of our own end of this mutual commitment, I can only say a very big Thank You to the Municipality of Dordrecht as we look forward to bringing Dordrecht to Bamenda through our joint ventures. In fact, international cooperation in local governance in Cameroon has never been this great. We in Bamenda are proud to be one of the pioneers in this direction and can gladly say now that brighter days are ahead for the Dordrecht-Bamenda relationship.
Thank you most sincerely.
Vincent Nji Ndumu,
Bamenda City Council.